In this article, we detail how to use a SendSafely Workspace along with the Workspace Export Script to automate the download of stored files to a selected folder location, then sync those files to Google Drive for storage or access by other company users.
This setup requires you to use a desktop or server to synchronize your Workspace with Google Drive. You'll need Node.js running on that machine, and you'll need a SendSafely API key and secret belonging to an internal collaborator on that Workspace. If you wish to run this script on a recurring basis, you'll also need some sort of task scheduler.
The workflow is as follows:
- Collaborators upload files to a given SendSafely Workspace.
- The Workspace Export Script downloads the contents of that Workspace to a folder on a desktop or server, while preserving its folder structure.
- The Google Drive Backup and Sync Utility synchronizes the desktop or server folder with a chosen Google Drive Folder. Saving a file to the desktop or server folder results in that file automatically being copied to the remote Google Drive folder.
1. Set up your Workspace
For an overview of Workspaces, watch this video.
2. Configure the Workspace Export Script
Use the steps outlined here to download and run the Workspace Export Script.
3. Add a Scheduled Task for the Export Script
Use a scheduler such as the Windows Task Scheduler to automate the execution of the Workspace Export Script.
4. Install the Google Drive Backup and Sync utility
Install the Google Drive Backup and Sync utility on the server or desktop. Follow these instructions, selecting the Export Script destination folder (specified in the --out parameter) as the folder to synchronize to the selected Google Drive location.