SendSafely Enterprise users may sometimes need another person within their Enterprise Portal to "approve" items being sent outside of their organization. This feature is optional and can be enabled by the SendSafely Support team (Requests for configuration should be emailed by an Enterprise Admin to email@example.com)
When enabled, Enterprise Admins can designate one or more "Approvers" from the Active User Listing in the Enterprise Console (note that approvers are not subject to the approval workflow)
When sending items through the web portal, the Send Items screen notifies senders if an approver is not included as a recipient, and a drop down menu listing authorized approvers is shown. An approver must be selected before the item can be submitted.
- If the "Do not notify recipients" Notification Preference is selected, the sender must provide the link to an approver so they can view the contents and approve the external recipients.
- If "Automatic notification" is selected, the Approver will be notified automatically via email that their approval is required.
The approver must review the recipients and approve the package. Until the item is approved, external recipients will not be allowed to access the items.
Once approved, the sender receives an email notification that the secure package is ready to be shared externally.
Regardless of notification preference, the sender must share the external link manually with the external recipients, via email or other communication method. Recipients are NOT automatically notified.
The approval process for the Outlook Plugin and Chrome Extension is further described below.
The Outlook Plugin warns users if sending a message that requires approval. If no approvers are present on the message, a dialog is presented that gives the option to choose one. Once submitted, the plugin automatically notifies approvers via email and the original message is held in the SendSafely outbox until approved. The plugin has a background process that checks every 5 minutes to see if previously submitted items are approved and, if so, releases the original message from the SendSafely Outbox.
The Chrome Extension currently does not support the ability to show a list of valid approvers. If an item requires an approver, senders should add a designated approver to the list of recipients. Once submitted, the link must be provided to an approver so they can view the contents and approve the external recipients. Senders are notified once the approval occurs, at which point they can share the link with the external recipients. Until the item is approved, external recipients will not be allowed to access the items.
Enterprise administrators can contact our support team or your Customer Success representative in order to enable this feature. Once enabled, you will need to designate at least on or more "Approvers" for your organization.
- Users with the "Approver" permission are the only individuals that can approve restricted items.
- By default, only items being shared externally or to un-registered users (those employees that might not have a SendSafely account) are subject to the approval requirement.
NOTE: "Approver" users are able to share items with anyone and do not require approval
- You have the option to configure the portal so that ALL items being shared (whether internal or external) require approval. Please specify this when requesting this feature to be activated.
NOTE: "Approver" users will still be allowed to share items with anyone and not require approval.